Happy New Year!
It's that time again, to reflect where we've been and plan out where we'd like to go next. Before we can talk about 2014 goals, we should see how I faired with my 2013 goals.
1. Get an agent.
Bam! Check that off the list, baby!
2. Create new look for blog and author website. I need a new blog face. Not sure what it will be but need something new to liven things up.
Oh yeah! I'm off to a successful start. I updated my blog with the fancy new face you see now.
3. Create a stronger blog presence through blogging more consistently, twitter more relevant writer tweets (and chatting with my YA Mafia buddies of course), and comment on five blogs a week.
Well I kind of improved on this. I reached out to more and blogged about more writer related but I didn't comment on five blogs a week. But hey, for the most part I achieved.
4. GET AN AGENT!
Bam! BAM! In case #1 wasn't clear. :)
5. Write two books. One of the two must complete the revision process.
Um...no. I didn't even write one. I started one, still working on it but no. I'm not happy about this book I'm writing right now. It's not coming out like I hoped. I'm going to finish it but then shelf it.
6. Read 50 books.
What. In the hell. Was I thinking? I was ambitious obviously. I have kids. VERY active kids so this realistically should be 25 a year. And that's exactly what I did.
7. Evolve my writing to the next level and refine my writing style.
I DID do this. I developed a stronger way to be a pantser AND vaguely outline. It's made things a lot easier.
What now? Where do I want to go in 2014? Last year I only listed my writer goals on my blog. This year I'm just going to list all my goals, writerly or non. My motto for 2014 is "Live healthy. Be happy." To help me achieve that here are a few goals:
1. Run 5 races. Whether they are 3K, 5K, 10K or half-marathon. Run 5.
2. Start buying more organic. Especially my meats and dairy. I know, I know. I should have changed this long ago, but if I change too much at once, I cave.
3. Write two books. Or at least write one, plot one. It may not happen again, but I really want to give it a try.
4. Be more virtually social. Blog more, tweet more, tumblr more, etc. (I've kind of withdrawn over the years, but I want to get back into it.)
5. Read 30 books BUT at least 50% have to be YA. I read way more historical romance than I should for a YA writer.
6. I want to take up meditation/yoga. We have an amazing chopra center at La Costa Resort and there's no reason why I can't start.
7. Make weekly life goals throughout the year. Not EVERY week but periodically to keep me on track. Like: Write 2000 words a week. Run 8 miles a week. Cut one bad habit this week. Etc.
8. Be more adventuresome, especially outdoors. Camping, hiking in new territory, surf, ski, etc.
9. Make lifelong memories with my kids. Memories they end up sharing with their children.
You'll notice I didn't say get published. That's in my agent's hands now. :)
How about you? What's your top goal for next year?